Following FDA advisory, homeopathic pharmacy offers alternative cough-cold remedies
BERKELEY SPRINGS, W.Va. In response to the Food and Drug Administration advisory released Thursday regarding the use of cough and cold medicines for children under two, the Washington Homeopathic Products, a homeopathic pharmacy located in Washington, D.C., today released a statement offering homeopathic remedies as an alternative to allopathic cough and cold remedies.
“The low cost of the medications and the rarity of adverse reactions make [homeopathy] preferable, in most cases, to modern drugs,” stated William Shavin on behalf of WHP. “Furthermore, because the medicines are inexpensive, safe and easy to use, individuals can learn to handle many common illnesses for which people regularly seek medical help.”
NPA recommends women avoid undernutrition with daily vitamin
WASHINGTON The Natural Products Association on Wednesday responded to recommendations that women supplement with a daily vitamin to help combat undernutrition, as published this week in the The Lancet in its Series on Maternal and Child Undernutrition.
“For all the problems for which there are still no solutions—undernnutrition is not one of them. From that perspective, this report is deeply disturbing,” stated Daniel Fabricant, vice president of scientific and regulatory affairs. “On the other hand, it is also very promising because the solutions are at hand—getting people the know-how and the nutrition they need when they need it,” he said.
Supplementing inadequate diets with nutrients like folic acid and vitamin A, which are named in the report, is both an easy and inexpensive solution in helping to prevent birth defects, he added.
“Reports like this, that identify simple and easy ways to save millions of lives—and improve the quality of life for millions more—through an act as simple as taking a vitamin daily, are welcome,” he concluded.
Report predicts near 40 percent growth in sales of pet supplements
NEW YORK Sales of dietary supplements for people’s furry friends is expected to jump some 39 percent by 2012 to a market size of $1.7 billion, according to a new report from Packaged Facts released Wednesday.
Pet supplements represent the bulk of sales, 74 percent through 2007, but nutraceutical treats are expected to increase their presence in the market, Packaged Facts reported. Forces driving that market growth include pet owners’ growing interest in pet products, an aging and overweight pet population, a steady influx of new products and increased usage of clinically proven supplements by the veterinary community.
“Nearly all pet owners value their pets for love and companionship and consider them family members,” noted Tatjana Meerman, publisher of Packaged Facts. “Marketers have been successful in tapping into consumers’ willingness to pamper their pets by providing them with the highest-quality, healthiest products available at almost any cost.”
Current market trends have been sustained through the sales of small animal supplements and nutraceutical treats in pet specialty shops, which account for more than 43 percent of sales, according to Packaged Facts estimates. The remaining 57 percent of sales are through veterinarian offices, health and natural stores and mass-market outlets, including online retailing.