Walgreens showcases geographic information systems applications
DSNTV: Walgreens’ Ashworth on the company’s healthcare strategy
In September, Drug Store News featured the cover story “Enabling Patient-Facing Care,” which examined Walgreens’ vision to help transform health care. As a follow-up, DSN Editor-in-Chief Rob Eder traveled to Deerfield, Ill., to sit down with Richard Ashworth, Walgreens’ president of pharmacy and retail operations, to discuss the main pillars of the company’s new healthcare strategy, including a new collaborative services model that is creating a variety of innovative new, patient-centered partnerships and programs.
“The basic premise is quite simple; it’s taking the best … capabilities [we have] in the marketplace as it relates to pharmacy and healthcare, and putting that together with the best of what others have in the market for … patient care,” Ashworth said. “When we say collaborative services, it’s putting things together in a way that ultimately is better for patients and lowers the cost and raises their health outcomes.”
Watch the exclusive interview above for more insights, including Walgreens’ plans for telehealth, how the company is leveraging its loyalty program to help incentivize healthy behavior among customers and how it is evolving its retail clinic model.
DSN, CCA present exclusive webinar on population health management
Population health management programs are helping providers get a comprehensive clinical picture of each patient, enabling clinicians to track and improve clinical outcomes, while also lowering costs.
However, that data is not consistently being used across the continuum of care, such as inpatient, hospital outpatient and ambulatory settings. Even less common is the integration of information on physician billing, electronic health records, medical claims, labs and pharmacies.
To help key healthcare stakeholders and industry professionals better understand the challenges and opportunities of integrating patient data to improve population health management, Drug Store News and the Convenient Care Association will host the exclusive webinar, “Partnerships in Population Health,” presented by Patrick Carroll, MD, Medical Director for Walgreens Health Care Clinic.
Slated for Wednesday, Nov. 18, “Partnerships in Population Health” is part of the six-part, DSN/CCA Retail Healthcare Webinar Series, which runs through December. Click to register.
Additional learning objectives include:
- Understanding the role of retail health in delivering on the Triple Aim to improve patient experience, reduce the cost of care and improve quality of care.
- Exploring unique risk assessment programs performed at Walgreens Healthcare Clinics.
- Understanding some of the challenges in the traditional retail health environment and how Walgreens is using a collaborative care model in partnership with local health systems to help overcome these challenges.
“Retail health clinics in traditional retail chain drug stores have become a critical boardroom conversation and a key platform to transform traditional brick and mortar retailers into integrated healthcare providers,” said Wayne Bennett, group publisher of Drug Store News.
"This educational platform is unique because the webinars are specifically designed for healthcare leadership and professionals and showcase the value proposition of the retail health industry," said Tine Hansen-Turton, executive director of the Convenient Care Association.
Moderated by Drug Store News editor Rob Eder, the DSN/CCA Retail Healthcare Webinar Series, kicks off Tuesday, Nov. 3, and includes:
- Integrated health care throughout the store, presented by Web Golinkin, CEO Rite Aid Rediclinic and Health Dialog.
- The role of telehealth in retail health care, presented by Tobias Barker, VP, medical operations, MinuteClinic.
- Partnerships in Population Health, presented by Patrick Carroll, MD, medical director for Walgreens Health Care Clinic.
- Chronic Care and Retail Health, presented by Eileen Myers, MPH, RDN, VP, affiliations and patient-centered strategies, The Little Clinic.
- Emerging Payment Models, presented by S. Lawrence Kocot, principal and national leader of the Center for Healthcare Regulatory Insight, KPMG.
The DSN/CCA Retail Healthcare Webinar Series runs through December, with archived sessions available for one year at DrugStoreNews.com. For the complete webinar schedule, detailed session descriptions and registration information, click here.