Survey says holiday shoppers need ‘meaningful messaging’
Retailers need relevant deals if they want to break through the “noise’ and engage with shoppers this holiday season. Retailers need relevant deals if they want to break through the “noise’ and engage with shoppers this holiday season.
According to research from Valassis, customers are doing thorough research before beginning their holiday shopping, and this means they are looking for relevant deals across channels. With 41% of value-seeking consumers using an equal mix of print and digital coupons, retailers must use meaningful messaging if they want their wallet share this holiday season. This requires companies to integrate online and offline data and use analytics to precisely target their most valuable shoppers.
“Marketers, both manufacturers and retailers alike, realize the holiday season will make or break their success for the year,” said Curtis Tingle, chief marketing officer, Valassis.
“The key to success lies in activating the right consumers with precise targeting – knowing the right audiences to engage with, the right offers to serve up and when and where to strike,” he added. “Brands and retailers can break through the holiday noise by using online and offline data to step up their targeting game and win this shopping season.”
The following steps will help retailers engage with their most valuable customers this holiday season:
• Consider both past purchases and current intent: Reach shoppers in the market for clothing, electronics, toys, gifts, games and other categories by utilizing insight about their previous purchase habits. Begin messaging in advance of the holiday season with specific offers and suggestions for gift giving.
• Understand your audience: Reach consumers based on their interests, online media consumption, frequency in visiting specific retailers and demographics.
• Embrace the power of proximity: Leverage real-time location to reach consumers within the vicinity of your stores and establishments. This is key for small businesses to tap into local shoppers and drive last-minute purchases with limited-time offers.
• Tap geo-location data: Message known, qualified consumers who live, work or travel near your location or that of competitors, which can help when promoting Black Friday and Cyber Monday deals.
Gillette partnership brings ‘Justice League’ gift packs to shelves
BOSTON — Men’s grooming brand Gillette is rolling out new superhero-inspired gift packs and a heroic new marketing campaign as part of its partnership with Warner Bros. Pictures’ forthcoming “Justice League” movie.
The partnership kicked off with a new TV spot highlighting Gillette’s efforts to move beyond providing “The Best a Man Can Get” and offering a shave that’s “The Best a Superhero Can Get.”
“We know the depth of R&D that it takes when it comes to engineering razors that meet the needs of regular guys, and now, we are applying that knowledge in a way we’ve only dreamed of doing before,” Gillette North America VP Max Menozzi said. “In the process, we are also looking to ‘Justice League’ experts—the fans—to provide us with additional insights to consider for their favorite Super Heroes.”
The brand also will release limited-edition gift packs inspired by the film — one for each of the heroes in the film. The packs are:
- The Flash Sensor3 Sensitive gift pack includes eight 8 Gillette Sensor3 disposable razors and one Gillette Series Sensitive shave gel;
- The Aquaman Fusion5 gift pack includes the Gillette Fusion5 razor, three razor cartridges and one Fusion Hydra Gel Hydra Smooth shave gel;
- The Cyborg Mach3 Turbo gift pack has one Gillette Mach3 razor, four razor cartridges and one Gillette Series Sensitive shave gel;
- The Superman ProShield Chill gift pack includes a Fusion5 ProShield Chill razor, two razor cartridges and a ProGlide 2-in-1 shave gel;
- The Batman Regimen gift pack includes a Gillette Fusion5 ProShield razor, two razor cartridges, one ProGlide2-in-1 shave gel, a Hydrator body wash and a Gillette Clear Gel antiperspirant/deodorant; and
- The Wonder Woman Venus Swirl gift pack includes a Venus Swirl razor, two razor cartridges, one Gillette Venus with Olay UltraMoisture – Violet Swirl shave gel and an Olay Soothing body wash.
The products will be available nationwide starting in late October. The Flash, Aquaman, Cyborg and Superman sets have a suggested retail price of $9.99 each. The Batman and Wonder Woman gift packs have a suggested retail price of $14.99 each.
Nivea expands line of in-shower body lotion
WILTON, Conn. — Beiersdorf’s Nivea brand is adding to its line of in-shower body lotion, making exfoliating and moisturizing easier. The company on Thursday introduced Nivea Radiant Silk in-shower body lotion, a 2-in-1 product that both exfoliates and moisturizes skin.
“All of our products are developed based on insights from our consumers, and we saw a need in the marketplace to create an innovation that is convenient and saves time in women’s busy lives,” Nivea marketing director Jennifer Van Aken said. “We are continuing to evolve our popular Nivea In-Shower Body Lotion line by launching a variant that moisturizes and exfoliates which helps remove dull, dead skin, leaving skin healthier looking and radiant year-round.”
The product is meant to be applied in the shower to wet skin after cleansing. It’s currently available in mass, food and drug retailers nationwide with a suggested retail price of $7.99