Schick expands portfolio with new disposable razors for men, women
SHELTON, Conn. — Schick, an Energizer Personal Care brand, is expanding the Schick Hydro franchise of razors with the launch of new Schick Hydro 5 disposables and Schick Hydro Silk disposables.
Introduced in 2010, the Schick Hydro razor offered the first-of-its-kind technology. Available in three- and five-blade options, Schick Hydro utilizes technology including skin guards, a flip trimmer on the five-blade razor, an ergonomic handle and a hydrating gel reservoir to provide hydration throughout each shave. In 2012 the Schick Hydro Power Select, a powered wet shave razor, became available on the market offering a major advancement in men’s grooming. The brand expanded with the launch of Schick Hydro Silk for women, a razor built upon the technology of the Schick Hydro brand. Using water-activated moisturizing serum, the Schick Hydro Silk razor hydrates skin to help replenish moisture shaving can take away.
With the introduction of the disposables line, Schick Hydro and Schick Hydro Silk promises to continue to innovate the category. These disposable razors hydrate skin throughout each shave and help protect skin from irritation. Schick Hydro 5 Disposables and Schick Hydro Silk Disposables come with a money-back guarantee and provide a shave that feels like a brand new disposable each time, the company stated.
Schick Hydro 5 Disposables razors feature technology designed to combat irritation and hydrate the skin throughout each shave with the following innovations:
- Water-activated gel reservoir hydrates skin throughout each shave, helping to reduce friction and irritation;
- Five blades with skin guards smooth skin while doubling the points of contact between the blades and the skin, for less irritation;
- Flip trimmer flips back allowing all five blades to help trim tight spaces; and
- Ergonomically-designed rubber grip handle for optimal control and performance.
Schick Hydro Silk disposables bring the technology of the Schick Hydro Silk razor into a disposable format, offering the following shave benefits:
- Water-Activated moisturizing serum hydrates throughout each shave and for up to two hours to help replenish skin’s natural moisture;
- Five curve-sensing blades deliver a close shave and glides over a woman’s curves;
- Skin guards smooth the skin while shaving helping to protect from irritation;
- Compact oval cartridge shape fits easily into hard to reach areas and allows for easy maneuvering over a woman’s contours and curves; and
- Ergonomic and soft disposable handle designed and optimized to provide a comfortable shave.
The Schick Hydro 5 disposables and Schick Hydro Silk disposables will be available beginning February 2013.
Find us on Facebook for more insight, analysis and the latest in drug store news.
L’Oreal USA launches site to promote careers in science for girls
NEW YORK — L’Oréal USA today announced the official launch of www.forgirlsinscience.org, a Web site designed to inspire and empower girls to pursue careers in science, technology, engineering and mathematics.
Featuring everything from videos of women scientists on the job, a career personality quiz, facts on famous women in S.T.E.M., career opportunities in S.T.E.M. fields to summer and weekend camps, and more, the Web site serves up science, technology, engineering and math in a way that is engaging and interactive.
"At L’Oreal USA, we are all about science," stated Rebecca Caruso, EVP of corporate communications and external affairs. "Ours is a company that is heavily committed to science. It’s part of our DNA and, we know that it can turn the impossible into the possible a dream into reality, and reinvent the future. We also know the depressing statistics about women in science and have been working to change them, first through our For Women In Science program and now through For Girls In Science. We are on the cusp of making science come alive for young girls in a compelling and relevant way."
The site was developed following a series of focus groups with girls ages 13 to 18, exploring their perceptions about S.T.E.M. The focus groups validated that many young girls are passionate about science, technology, engineering and math but often fall off the path to pursuing careers in S.T.E.M. because they don’t see role models they can relate to or experience science in ways that are compelling to them. The goal of the For Girls In Science Web site: To foster a community for young girls to see scientists that they want to emulate, to learn about careers that may interest them, to help them explore and connect with others with similar interests in science, technology, engineering and math. L’Oreal USA also wanted to create a Web site where budding scientists can learn about S.T.E.M. in a fun and interactive way.
Throughout L’Oreal’s 100-plus year history, science and research have been integral parts of the company. For the past 14 years, the L’Oreal-UNESCO For Women in Science program has been recognizing accomplished women scientists around the globe. In 2003, L’Oreal USA launched the L’Oreal USA Fellowships For Women In Science program. Entering its 10th year, L’Oreal USA annually recognizes and rewards five U.S.-based women researchers with Fellowships to be put towards their postdoctoral research. Looking to the future, L’Oreal USA wanted to build upon that program by reaching and encouraging the next generation of young girls.
H.D. Smith creates H.D. Smith Specialty Solutions, names leadership team to drive the new business
SPRINGFIELD, Ill. — H. D. Smith on Tuesday announced the establishment of H. D. Smith Specialty Solutions, an organization structured to provide focus and alignment around specialty and traditional brand products, solutions and services. The wholesaler also announced the realignment of select executive leadership positions to best capitalize on the growing needs resulting from recent geographic and service expansions. These expansions include the acquisition of Valley Wholesale Drug in October 2012 and a planned majority ownership investment in Triplefin announced in January 2013.
"With the recent additions of Valley Wholesale Drug and Triplefin to the H. D. Smith family of companies, our geographic and service-offering reach has expanded greatly — and our business structure must align to meet growing customer needs," stated Dale Smith, chairman and CEO H. D. Smith. "We are focused on growth that supports our manufacturing customers as well as our pharmacy, hospital and institutional care customers and the patients they serve. It is critical that we align talent to meet customer and partner needs efficiently and successfully, and place executives in roles with the highest potential to impact company growth and their own success."
Valley Wholesale Drug operates as a wholly owned subsidiary of H. D. Smith from its California headquarters, increasing the company’s customer base in California and expansion into the Pacific Northwest. Triplefin is a brand and specialty pharmaceutical support services company headquartered in Cincinnati. With Triplefin, H. D. Smith’s prescription pharmaceutical service offering to manufacturing partners and specialty pharmacy customers has significantly increased.
The largest structural change to the company is the formation of H. D. Smith Specialty Solutions, to be led by Joseph Conda, and which will serve as the umbrella organization, bringing together the company’s specialty pharmaceuticals assets: Smith Medical Partners, a wholly owned subsidiary, that represents the company’s legacy specialty distribution business;Triplefin, a partially owned subsidiary that offers brand and specialty pharmaceutical support services company; H. D. Smith’s Specialty Commercialization team, a team that will accelerate the value of the combined resources of SMP and Triplefin for the benefit of the customer throughout the pharmaceutical supply chain, for both key products and services and key market segments; and H. D. Smith’s third-party network, which includes Independence Holding Company, a wholly owned retail pharmacy operation.
"We established H. D. Smith Specialty Solutions in order to ensure maximized performance and effective service offerings throughout the company’s specialty business units," Smith said. "As the organization’s new president, Joe brings a wealth of industry, brand and specialty pharmaceuticals and organizational leadership experience to our new umbrella organization. His talent will drive our strategy and manufacturing/patient support solutions portfolio targeted toward specialty and brand pharmaceutical products," Smith added. "Ensuring patient access, education and adherence/compliance to these life-saving medicines is a key aspect of H. D. Smith’s strategic intent."
In addition to the creation of H. D. Smith Specialty Solutions, the company appointed the following senior executives to new positions:
- Tom Doyle was promoted to serve as EVP commercial solutions. Doyle will lead the commercialization teams across Smith Medical Partners and Triplefin.
- Karen Callaway promoted to serve as EVP human resources, where she will oversee the development and implementation of all human resources policies, programs and services. A member of the executive leadership team, she will provide expertise on personnel issues that impact performance and business relationships.
- Bob Appleby has been promoted to SVP category management. Appleby will lead all of the company’s product category efforts, including branded and generic pharmaceuticals, home healthcare products and the HHC sales organization as well as the health, beauty and wellness product category.
- Tom Twitty was promoted to SVP supply chain management. Twitty will develop a company supply chain strategy that achieves company strategy and meets company performance objectives. His areas will include operations, purchasing, regulatory and compliance.
- Scott Wilson was promoted to SVP drug divisions, where he will lead the drug divisions, the sales organization and the Valley Wholesale Drug business, a wholly owned subsidiary.
- Mark Mehmet was promoted to serve as corporate VP product development and architecture. Mehmet is responsible for leading product development to support business initiatives, leading production teams from initial inception to final product. In this role he will also identify and propose new information technologies and systems to improve business processes and decision making.
Find us on Facebook for more insight, analysis and the latest in drug store news.