Report predicts cosmeceuticals market will hit $21 billion in four years
NEW YORK Consumer demand and innovative trends are expected to help drive the U.S. cosmecuticals market to $21 billion by 2012, according to recent research.
In its updated report, The U.S. Cosmecuticals Market, 6th Edition, Packaged Facts states that beneficial beauty products exploded in the retail sector during the first years of this century, reaching $16 billion in 2007.
Skin care, the largest cosmeceutical category, was valued at $8.9 billion alone in 2007. Furthermore, all of the cosmeceutical categories evaluated in the report—skincare, hair care and color cosmetics—rang in annual advances ranging from 4 percent to 7 percent during the 2003-2007 period, with an overall gain of 25 percent.
“The assortment of cosmeceutical products is constantly broadening,” stated Cathy Minkler, editor of Packaged Facts. “To cash in on consumer demand, marketers are creating extensions of existing brands, repositioning brands, or introducing new brands entirely. Sephora boutiques have opened in JCPenney stores and L’Oreal’s La Roche-Posay and Vichy brands have been sold in CVS, for example.”
Packaged Facts noted that “well-groomed” Web sites, TV infomercials and shopping networks have boomed in sales and become respectable, knowledgeable sources. Future trends will encourage marketers to expand premium brands and incorporate more natural and organic-based products on prime shelf real estate.
Maybelline debuts Colossal Volum’ Express Mascara
NEW YORK Maybelline New York is going big and bold with its new Colossal Volum’ Express Mascara, its first-to-mass combination of a colossal collagen formula and an enormous brush. The result: Nine times the volume for eye-opening impact.
The new Colossal Volum’ Express promises to deliver supersized lashes in a single coat. The patented brush provides ample surface area to connect with each lash. Supplementary bristles seek out even the tiniest lashes, according to the company.
The formula’s fine wax dispersion prevents clumps while collagen and jojoba oil provide a quick effect on the lashes.
The mascara will be available at food, drug and mass retailers beginning in July. The suggested retail price is $7.47. The mascara is available in two shades: Classic black for everyday supersized lash looks and Glam Black for more extreme lashes.
Beiersdorf introduces Nivea Lip Care
NEW YORK Beiersdorf is broadening its U.S. portfolio with the launch of Nivea Lip Care, the company announced Tuesday, a venture into a new product category for Beiersdorf.
“We believe that Nivea Lip Care will perform well in the marketplace, as the category has seen steady sales during the past five years,” stated Nicolas Maurer, vice president of marketing at Beiersdorf U.S.A. “We will drive the product launch with a fully integrated marketing campaign which engages consumers by focusing on the emotional benefits of the product, marking a departure from the functional messages that we currently see in the marketplace.”
“This is a first of its kind launch in the category,” aded Bill Graham, vice president of sales at Beiersdorf, U.S.A. “Nivea brings a total category solution to our customers. We offer a functionally superior range of products, a unique consumer communication platform, and a solid financial framework to our customers.”
Nivea Lip Care will have 11 different variants and 22 SKUs. Products will be available in both blister card and loose form. Each Nivea Lip Care product provides moisturization along with additional benefits such as relief, protection, color, gloss and anti-aging in a non-waxy consistency.
The product line up is as follows:
- A Kiss of Moisture—Essential Lip Care and Hydrating Lip Care SPF 4 are specifically formulated to provide moisturization and protect lips from dryness. Products are available in a stick format.
- A Kiss of Protection—Sun Protection Lip Care SPF 30 effectively prevents moisture loss and protects lips from sun damage. Product is available in a stick format.
- A Kiss of Flavor—Tinted Lip Care in Cherry and Passion Fruit. The Tinted Lip Care products provide moisturization, while giving lips a hint of color and a fruity flavor. Comes in two flavors: cherry and passion fruit. Products are available in a stick format.
- A Kiss of Shimmer—Pearly Shimmer Lip Care provides moisturization along with the pearly shimmer effect. Product is available in a stick format.
- A Kiss of Shine—Glossy Lip Care gives lips a glossy shine without any sticky residue. Comes in three shades – natural, red and pink. Products are available in a tube format.
- A Kiss of Rejuvenation—Anti-Aging Lip Care SPF 4 enhances the natural fullness of lips and reduces the appearance of fine lines. Product is available in a tube format.
- A Kiss of Relief—SOS Lip Care provides instant care for dry, chapped lips while supporting lips’ natural healing process. Product is available in a tube format.
Nivea Lip Care will be available at all food, drug and mass merchandisers nationwide in September 2008 in the cough/cold aisle. Suggested retail price is $3.99 for tube products and $2.99 for stick product.