Organic Food Bar launches new bar to boost immune system, promote good digestive health
LOS ANGELES Organic Food Bar on Friday launched Organic Food Bar — ONE, a bar with 10-times more probiotic cultures as compared with yogurt, to boost the immune system and promote good digestive health that retails for less than $1.
Organic food production is a $16 billion-a-year industry, according to the Organic Trade Association. Organics account for just 3% of overall food sales, but they are growing at 17% to 20% per year as compared with 2% to 3% growth for conventional foods. The 2002 Organic Consumer Trends Report found that 39% of the U.S. population uses organic products.
Organic Food Bar — ONE comes in three varieties: blueberry muffin crunch, raspberry muffin crunch and chocolate macaroon crunch.
C&D posts 9.1% sales increase for 2008, outlines plans for 2009
PRINCETON, N.J. Church & Dwight on Thursday outlined its plans for 2009, after posting a 2008 sales increase of 9.1% to $2.4 billion for the period ended Dec. 31, 2008.
“We are very proud of the business results and strategic initiatives that we accomplished in 2008,” noted James Craigie, C&D chairman and CEO. “We delivered solid organic sales growth, increased gross margin and generated record free cash flow. In addition, we acquired the net assets of the Del Pharmaceuticals’ over-the-counter businesses from Coty, began the construction of a new integrated laundry detergent manufacturing plant and distribution center in York County, Pa., and completed the roll-out of concentrated liquid laundry detergent,” he said. “We will continue to introduce a steady pipeline of new and improved products in 2009. New and improved products were a key driver of our strong organic growth in 2008.”
Going forward in the family planning arena, for example, C&D is launching two new Trojan products — Trojan 2 Go, which contains two condoms in a pocket-sized card to make it easier to discreetly carry condoms, and Trojan Ecstasy, which features a unique comfort shape and UltraSmooth lubricant.
“While we were able to deliver record performance in 2008, there is a great deal of uncertainty regarding the economic environment in 2009,” Craigie added. “We are prudently planning for further deterioration in consumer spending, and we expect that this will impact some of our categories. These market conditions are being exacerbated by actions by some retailers to increase shelf space in support of their private-label brands. Accordingly, we are projecting organic revenue growth to be approximately 2% in 2009.”
American Botanical Council releases study on Sinupret
AUSTIN, Texas The nonprofit American Botanical Council on Thursday published a monograph summarizing the scientific and clinical studies of Sinupret, a clinically-tested herbal combination for upper respiratory tract health, including conditions associated with sinusitis and bronchitis.
Studies of Sinupret reviewed in the monograph include four clinical trials regarding acute sinusitis, two clinical trials regarding chronic sinusitis, one meta-analysis of clinical trials evaluating treatment of sinusitis, two clinical trials regarding bronchitis, and a post-marketing surveillance study of patients with bronchitis.
Based on the review of the available scientific and clinical information from these studies, the monograph concludes that Sinupret has a relatively significant level of safety and efficacy data compared to many other natural products intended for use in maintaining the health of sinuses and the upper respiratory tract.
“Year after year Sinupret is one of the top-selling herbal products in Germany, a country where the strong tradition of herbal preparations is combined with modern science,” stated Mark Blumenthal, founder and executive director of ABC. “Extensive use by millions of people attests to this product’s overall safety and effectiveness in the area of upper respiratory tract health.”
Sinupret contains extracts of five traditional European herbs — elder (Sambucus nigra) flowers, primrose (Primula veris) flowers with calyx, common sorrel (Rumex acetosa) herb, European vervain (Verbena officinalis) herb and gentian (Gentiana lutea) root — and is manufactured by Bionorica.
ABC emphasized that the publication of the Sinupret monograph is not an endorsement or recommendation of the product or the manufacturer. “ABC has had a long history of documenting the specific herbal products and ingredients that have been clinically tested,” Blumenthal said. “As part of our nonprofit educational mission, we believe it is in the public interest to identify clinically tested natural plant-based products and ingredients which the scientific literature indicates are safe and beneficial.”