New Herr’s snack to aid paralyzed veterans nonprofit
BY DSN STAFF
NOTTINGHAM, Pa. — With a new limited-edition snack from Herr’s, pretzel fans can help support paralyzed veterans. The company announced Wednesday thatwhole grain pretzels with flaxseed and honey would be available through July, with five cents per bag sold going to help the non-profit Paralyzed Veterans of America.
“Herr’s is dedicated to supporting our community in any way we can,” Herr Foods president Ed Herr said. “We are proud to partner with Paralyzed Veterans of America, which is instrumental in advocating for veterans and all people with disabilities.”
The organization provided assisted over $60,000 paralyzed veterans and their families, and in the past year, opened a branch of their Operation PAVE offices, which work to help veterans find employment outside the armed forces. With the new Herr’s product, some proceeds from the ribbon-shaped snack will help with these efforts.
“As a nonprofit organization, every dollar raised on our behalf counts, and makes a difference in the life of a veteran,” PVA national president Al Kovach, Jr. said. “We thank Herr’s for supporting our mission to ensure that disabled veterans have everything they need to thrive after serious injury.”
Report: Amazon to offer private label grocery products
SEATTLE – Amazon.com reportedly plans to launch a line of private label grocery products. According to the Wall Street Journal, Amazon will add items such as milk, cereal, baby food and household cleaners to its Elements private label brand.
Currently, Amazon Prime members can purchase Elements baby wipes, and the retailer previously sold Elements diapers, as well. Amazon has recently applied for trademark protection for about two dozen Elements-branded products including coffee, soup, pasta, water, vitamins, dog food and razors.
Sources indicate Amazon has had discussions with private label food product manufacturers including Tree House Foods Inc. Amazon declined comment.
Mars unwraps new product innovations
BY Ryan Chavis
HACKETTSTOWN, N.J. — Mars Chocolate North America this week unveiled a number of new products, along with some new consumer promotions and merchandising displays at the National Confectioners Association Sweets and Snacks Expo in Chicago.
According to the company, the new items included:
- Combos Baked Snacks Sweet & Salty Chocolate Fudge Pretzel features creamy fudge filling surrounded by a salty, crunchy pretzel shell. (November 2015, $2.29 for 6.0 oz. medium bags);
- The cranberry and cherry variants of Real Fruit Dipped in Dove Dark Chocolate will be available in a new size: convenient, share-able, resealable 17-ounce stand-up pouches. (October 2015, $8.99-$10.99 for 17 oz. large stand-up pouch);
- Goodnessknows Snack Squares — available in Cranberry Almond Dark Chocolate, Apple Almond & Peanut Dark Chocolate, and Peach & Cherry Almond Dark Chocolate -– are made with delicious dark chocolate, slow-roasted whole almonds, toasted oats and real fruit. (July 2015, $1.39-$1.59 for 1.2 oz. singles, $4.99-$6.99 for a five-pack carton);
- M&M’S Brand To-Go Bottles are innovative, re-closable and reusable bottles boasting 3.5 ounces of M&M’S® Brand Milk Chocolate Candies and M&M’S® Brand Peanut Chocolate Candies. (November 2015, $2.50-$3.50 for 3.5 oz. bottle);
- M&M’S Brand will re-launch the M&M’S Brand Box Pack format in March 2016 with major marketing that includes the blockbuster summer promotion “M&M’S Brand Movie Ticket Mania.” (March 2016, $1.00-$1.99 per box pack);
- Milky Way Brand Marshmallow with Caramel Bar delivers a magnificent combination of fluffy marshmallow nougat covered with a layer of smooth caramel, enrobed in creamy milk chocolate. (July 2015, $1.09-$1.39 for 1.72 oz. single);
- Milky Way Midnight Bar will be available in a 2 To Go size enclosed in a resealable twist-wrap. Every bite offers creamy caramel and vanilla-flavored nougat coated in dark chocolate. (December 2015, $1.69-$1.99 for 2.83 oz. 2 To Go);
- Snickers Brand Mixed Nuts Bar satisfies with a mix of peanuts, almonds and hazelnuts combined with SNICKERS Brand caramel and nougat, all coated with creamy milk chocolate. (November 2015, $1.09-$1.39 for 1.76 oz. single); and
- Starburst Brand Orange Sorbet Bars pack an exhilarating burst of orange flavor in a light and delicious bar that is a fruity and refreshing addition to the Frozen Novelty category. (February 2015, $2.99 for a four-count multipack.)
“Shoppers purchase snacks and confections for a variety of reasons, and we’re seeing an increase in requests for lower caloric snack options,” said Timothy LeBel, VP of sales for Mars Chocolate North America. “Our new goodnessknows Snack Squares will fulfill consumers’ appetite for a new snack that tastes indulgent at 150 calories per four-square serving.”
At the expo, the company also announced a number of “key moments” from its promotional calendar, which include NASCAR, Summer Road Trip, “Holiday on the Go” and the Super Bowl. Mars recently supported Red Nose Day, a campaign that aims to raise money for children living in poverty. At the NCA Expo, Mars handed out red noses and encouraged attendees to support the campaign.
Loading Post Please Wait...