IPC announces winners of nine pharmacy student scholarships
SUN PRAIRIE, Wis. — Independent Pharmacy Cooperative (IPC) today announced the nine recipients of this year's pharmacy student scholarships. Each winner has been awarded a $1,500 scholarship, totaling $13,500 in IPC future independent pharmacy support.
The winners are:
- Kristen Glover Belew, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences College of Pharmacy
- Derek Borkowski, University of Minnesota College of Pharmacy
- Kimberly Bucher, South Carolina College of Pharmacy
- Melinda Chappell, University of New Mexico College of Pharmacy
- Taylor Engelhart, Northeast Ohio Medical University — College of Pharmacy
- Jonathan Pin, University of Minnesota College of Pharmacy
- Rahim Pirani, University of Illinois at Chicago — College of Pharmacy
- Brooklyn Pruett, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences College of Pharmacy
- Yazmin Quijano-Gonzalez, University of New Mexico College of Pharmacy
IPC hosted and sponsored 54 students from 12 universities at the sixth annual IPC Independent Pharmacy Conference held in Santa Ana Pueblo, N.M., April 28-May 1, 2016. The event presented students with opportunities to learn about what an independent pharmacy business entails and network with successful store owners, industry experts and pharmacy vendors, as well as IPC staff.
“One of Independent Pharmacy Cooperative’s foremost goals is to inspire the next generation of independent pharmacy owners,” IPC president and CEO Don Anderson said. “At IPC’s conference attending students learned more about independent pharmacy and why it is a financially and emotionally beneficial career path.”
The winners were chosen based on an essay competition regarding their IPC conference experiences. McKesson contributes matching funds for the scholarship program.
IPC has awarded nearly $70,000 in support of future community pharmacists since 2011, with 48 scholarships distributed. To date IPC sponsored 248 student conference attendees hailing from universities across the United States. The seventh annual Independent Pharmacy Conference will take place April 6-9, in Scottsdale, Ariz.