Hershey showcases new products at Sweets & Snacks expo
CHICAGO — In an effort to highlight its commitment to consumer preferences and tastes, Hershey is debuting a range of innovative confections this week at the National Confectioners Association’s Sweets & Snacks Expo in Chicago.
One of the new treats includes Ice Breakers Cool Blasts Chews, a mint-and-gum duo that gives the consumer an icy blast in the form of a dissolving chew. The product — available beginning September 2014 — is a new spin on the Ice Breakers brand and fills a changing consumer need as traditional gum sees a decline and the mint category enjoys growth.
"Consumers are at the center of all that we do at Hershey, and their preferences, needs and tastes drive our product innovation," said Michael Wege, SVP and chief growth and marketing Officer for the Hershey Co. "These new products are a direct result of a creative and innovative industry-changing pipeline that focuses on consumer trends. With more than 80 brands around the world, the Hershey Co. responds to diverse consumer needs to create a robust portfolio of innovative chocolate and confection products."
Reese’s Spreads also are taking the spotlight following the success of the company’s line of Hershey Spreads. The new spread will retail for $3.89 and will appear on retail shelves in December 2014. Other products being announced at the show include:
- Hershey’s Spreads Snacksters Graham Dippers, an on-the-go package that combines Hershey’s Spreads Chocolate with Graham Dippers. Available in a 1.8-oz. package for a suggested retail price of $1.49. Available May 2014;
- York Minis, a bite-sized version of the peppermint and smooth dark chocolate treat. York Minis will be available in 2.5-oz. King Size (SRP $1.69) and 8-oz. Stand-up Pouch (SRP $3.29). Available May 2014;
- Brookside Crunchy Clusters, clusters of multigrain and fruit-flavored centers with sweetened cranberry bits, covered in dark chocolate. Brookside Crunchy Clusters will be available in 2.5-oz. (SRP $2.29) and 5-oz. (SRP $3.89) bags. Available December 2014;
- Twizzlers Pull ‘n’ Peel Fruit Punch Twists, which grape, cherry and orange flavors. The product will be available in 2-oz. (SRP $.59) and 11-oz. (SRP $1.75) bags. Available December 2014;
- Twizzlers Strawberry Lemonade Filled Twists. Strawberry and lemonade flavors combine to bring consumers a strawberry flavor with a touch of lemon flavor. Available in 1.9-oz. (SRP $.59) and 11-oz. (SRP $1.75) bags. Available December 2014.
New SPF 30+ sunscreen for kids features all-natural bug repellant, glitter
FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. — GlitterTots has introduced its new Jungle Screen, which uses all natural ingredients, including lemongrass, citronella, cedar and peppermint oils, to prevent bugs from biting, all while providing broad spectrum sun protection. And, of course, it also features glitter.
Jungle Screen is not just fun to wear, it’s also designed to be fun to apply. Delivered in a roll-on bottle, Jungle Screen’s Roll n’ Rub technology, kids can “roll it on and rub it in” themselves, and the safari gold glitter will let them, and parents know if they’ve missed a spot. It also has a fresh Summer Woods scent.
“Sparkle Screen launched less than a year ago, and the response has been beyond amazing. We are so proud to be in more than 500 stores in just a few months; from dermatology offices to boutiques, resorts and surf shops, all around the globe,” stated Meredith Madsen, co-founder and CEO.
Jungle Screen’s glitter is a non-metallic, BPA-free plastic glitter, so it is safe for even the littlest ones. It is made in the United States and is both paba- and paraben-free. It contains only natural broad-spectrum UVA and UVB protection.
Walgreens: Step two of the Alliance Boots transaction to begin in February 2015
LONDON — The U.K. daily the Telegraph on Monday reported conjecture that Walgreens may seek to pull the trigger on the second step in its acquisition of Alliance Boots sooner rather than later. According to the report, Walgreens could acquire the remaining stake in Alliance Boots in as little as eight months. Presently, Walgreens has an option to acquire the remaining stake in Alliance Boots beginning February 2015.
Walgreens currently holds a 45% stake in Alliance Boots.
According to the report, the deal would be accelerated in an effort to begin an inversion, relocating Walgreens headquarters from the Chicago area to overseas.
However, in an email to Drug Store News last week, Walgreens spokesman Michael Polzin said, "The window for step two of the [Alliance Boots] transaction begins in February 2015. The current agreement doesn’t allow for a move prior to that."
Regarding a possible inversion, Polzin said, "We regularly meet with our investors and always welcome their input. Over the past year, we have made significant progress in our strategic partnership with Alliance Boots as we move toward the window for exercising the second step of our transaction. Our focus is always on analyzing and doing what is in the best long-term interest of our company and its shareholders, and when we have something more definitive to announce about our future structure and strategies, we will do so."