FDA approves generic Lamisil from Breckenridge
BOCA RATON, Fla. The Food and Drug Administration has approved Breckenridge Pharmaceutical’s generic version of a fungal infection treatment, Breckenridge said Wednesday.
The FDA approved Breckenridge’s terbinafine hydrochloride tablets in the 250-mg strength.
Terbinafine hydrochloride tablets are a generic version of Novartis’ Lamisil, used to treat such fungal infections as athlete’s foot and jock itch. More than a dozen companies make generic versions of the drug.
NACDS conference brings success, energy to the table
SAN DIEGO Uniting suppliers and manufacturers proved a success at National Association of Chain Drug Stores’ 2010 Marketplace Conference, which concluded Tuesday afternoon in San Diego.
Boasted as the largest convergence of drug, food, mass, club and value retailing in the United States, the NACDS Marketplace Conference featured new product showcases, category manager meet-and-greets and more. Representatives from such chains as Chain Drug Consortium, Costco, CVS Caremark, Kmart, Meijer, Shopko, Walgreens and Wegmans were present to provide visitors with industry insights.
Among the conference’s events were the Meet the Market program, Meet the Retailer/ How to Do Business With sessions and a product showcase on the exhibition floor. Evaluated by the retail attendees, winners of this year’s “Product Showcase” are:
- Baby Care Company: Bean-B-Clean Product: Bean-B-Clean (Scalp Massaging Brush)
- Consumables Company: Crunchies Food Co. Product: Crunchies (all natural freeze dried fruits and veggies)
- Cosmetics and Fragrances Company: U.S. Cotton, LLC Product: Swisspers exfoliating cotton facial cleansing pads
- General Merchandise Company: FGX International Product: LightSpecs by Foster Grant
- Healthcare/OTC Company: TECNIMED Product: Thermofocus, the original 5-1 non contact thermometer
- Home Healthcare Company: Drive Medical Design & Manufacturing Product: Glow & Go folding cane
- Personal Care/HBC Company: Zeno Corp. Product: Zeno Hot Spot blemish clearing device
“This year’s NACDS Marketplace Conference was an overall success and the atmosphere was full of energy,” said NACDS president and CEO Steve Anderson. “From the Meet the Market program to the education sessions and the exhibit floor, NACDS continues to provide attendees an effective and efficient meeting geared toward their needs.”
FDA releases sun safety video
SILVER SPRING, Md. Summer is a time when millions of Americans make their way to beaches, parks and vacation spots, but they also could be putting themselves at risk for skin and eye damage caused by ultraviolet radiation from the sun.
The Food and Drug Administration has posted a short video on its website designed to show consumers how to protect themselves from UV rays. The video features FDA dermatologist Jane Liedtka and FDA ophthalmologist Wiley Chambers explaining the need for sunscreen and sunglasses, and what kinds consumers should buy.