Family caregivers provide majority of assistance to the 18 million seniors who need help with daily living
ANN ARBOR, Mich. — About 70% of seniors getting help with daily activities received that assistance from family, friends and other unpaid caregivers, while the remaining 30% received paid care, according to a new study from the University of Michigan and the Urban Institute.
Nearly all older adults had at least one potential informal care network member — family or household member, or close friend — and the average network size was four people.
Among those receiving help, one in four lived in either a supportive care setting (15%) or a nursing home (10%). Nearly half of older adults – 18 million people — have difficulty or get help with daily activities.
"Although 51% reported having no difficulty in the previous month, 29% reported receiving help with taking care of themselves or their households or getting around," stated U-M researcher Vicki Freedman, co-author of the report with the Urban Institute's Brenda Spillman. "And another 20% said they had difficulty carrying out these activities on their own."
Unmet needs, especially among those receiving paid assistance, were sizable, according to the authors. "Among the 18 million who had difficulty or received help, 30% had an adverse consequence in the last month related to unmet need," said Spillman. "Among community residents with a paid caregiver, the figure was nearly 60%."
Researchers from the University of Michigan and the Urban Institute analyzed data from a national sample of older adults drawn from Medicare enrollment files. In all, 8,245 people were included in the 2011 the National Health and Aging Trends Study. The analysis was published in the current (September 2014) issue of the Milbank Memorial Quarterly.
CRN seeks to get multivitamin recommendation in the 2015 Dietary Guidelines
WASHINGTON — The Council for Responsible Nutrition on Friday asked that the Nutrition Guidance and Analysis Division of the Center for Nutrition Policy and Promotion include in its 2015 dietary guidelines a recommendation that consumers supplement their healthy diet with a multivitamin.
A subcommittee of the 2015 Dietary Guidelines Advisory Committee recently concluded that Americans do not meet recommended levels for vitamins A, D, E, C, folate, calcium, magnesium, potassium and fiber and that many women do not meet recommended intake levels for iron.
"CRN advocates that a multivitamin/mineral (MVM) and other dietary supplements provide a no-calorie, low cost, convenient way to fill the aforementioned nutrient gaps when nutrient recommended intakes are not first met through the consumption of food," the association stated in a letter Friday. "CRN suggests that the 2015 Dietary Guidelines can improve the nutrient adequacy of Americans by including a recommendation that the general population may consider taking MVM when micronutrient intake is not first met through food."
Citing consumer surveys, CRN reported that most supplement users report their reasons for using supplements are for overall health and to fill nutrient gaps, and that supplement use is associated with health food choices.
The fifth meeting of the 2015 Dietary Guidelines Advisory Committee is scheduled for Sept. 16 to 17.
Camber Consumer Care announces new members to executive leadership team
BY Ryan Chavis
(Vic Mazzacone, center)
PISCATAWAY, N.J. — Camber Consumer Care, which focuses on both consumer care and prescription-to-OTC switch products, introduced new executives to its staff.
John Segura has been named VP marketing and operations. Segura brings to the team more than 25 years of experience, with emphasis on building new, entrepreneurial businesses, including those in the branded, generic Rx and OTC space. He was most recently involved with the management and development of a prviate-label OTC division, including the integration of multiple manufacturing and packaging sites.
Vic Mazzacone has been named VP of sales. Mazzacone brings to the company more than 25 years of sales leadership with such companies as GlaxoSmithKline and Novartis, with extensive retailer and broker relationships across the over-the-counter medicine industry.
Rich Matchett has been appointed as director of sales, bringing to the company 28 years of experience in the retail, wholesaler and managed-care marketplace. He's spent the last year-and-a-half in the private-label OTC market with Sun Pharma, helping to develop an allergy-related product line in the wholesaler/retail community.
Loading Post Please Wait...